THURSDAY 9/19: Town Council Meets at Fire Hall

Cape Charles Town Council will hold its regular monthly meeting 6 p.m. Thursday, September 19, at the Fire Hall. [Read more…]

THURSDAY 9/19: ‘Circle of Friends’ Resumes Biweekly Meetings; Public Invited

The Circle of Friends will resume biweekly meetings beginning 7-9 p.m. Thursday, September 19. [Read more…]

SATURDAY 9/21: Memorial Service for Malvina Savage

A memorial service for Malvina Hancock Savage, 84, wife of James Thomas Savage and a resident of Cape Charles, will be 11 a.m. Saturday, September 21, at Holmes Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Dr. Eugene S. Soud officiating. [Read more…]

SATURDAY 9/21: ‘Duck Dive’ Hospice Fundraiser in Onancock

Hospice and Palliative Care in Onancock is holding “Family Duck Day” Saturday, September 21. Ducks are for sale in Cape Charles at Gull Hummock, Moonrise, and Shore Bank. [Read more…]

WEDNESDAY 9/25: Bay Stewardship Course Begins at ESCC

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation  is accepting applications for its popular adult education course, VoiCeS (Volunteers as Chesapeake Stewards), which will run each Wednesday from September 25 through November 13 at Eastern Shore Community College in Melfa. [Read more…]

PSA Sewer Meeting: Hot Time in Cheriton Fire Hall

PSA Chairman Bob Panek, who also is assistant town manager for Cape Charles, spoke to a crowd of 100 at Monday night's meeting. (Wave photo)

PSA Chairman Bob Panek, who also is assistant town manager for Cape Charles, spoke to a crowd of 100 at Monday night’s meeting. (Wave photo)

Cape Charles Wave

September 17, 2013

Nearly 100 people turned out Monday night to hear and question plans by the Eastern Shore Public Service Authority to pipe sewage from commercial properties near Route 13 to the Cape Charles treatment plant.

PSA Chairman Bob Panek, who also is assistant town manager for Cape Charles, found himself in hostile territory: not a single speaker during the meeting supported the sewer expansion. The reason was clear: cost – initially $1.8 million, which could balloon to $12 million in a later phase encompassing Cheriton and surrounding areas.

The PSA is recommending mandatory sewer service for 70 commercial properties with a total tax value of $18 million. The project would cost $1.8 million, or 10 percent of the total value of the properties. The $1.8 million would be borrowed with an annual debt service of $124,000 for 20 years.

Northampton County Board of Supervisors has already voted to pay 25 percent of the debt service from the County’s general fund, meaning that all county taxpayers will pay a share. The remaining 75 percent would come from a special tax district encompassing the 70 commercial properties, where property taxes will nearly double.

Panek said the PSA is acting on the basis of a July 2012 survey of the 64 commercial property owners affected. There were only 10 responses to the survey: 5 “yes,” 4 “maybe,” and 1 “no.” Panek said that although survey response was “thin,” those who responded “positively” (meaning “yes” or “maybe”) own about a third of the total assessed $18 million.

Of the 70 parcels included in the special tax district, most are vacant, meaning they presently have no need for sewage treatment. The two big users are McDonald’s and Hardee’s, Panek said.

Public Service Authority

Public Service Authority members at the meeting had their backs to the wall, literally and figuratively. From left: J.T. Holland, Garrett Dunham, Taylor Dukes, Chairman Bob Panek, Carl Harris, Sean Ingram, John Reiter. (Wave photo)

Questions and answers at the meeting included the following (names of speakers appear when known): [Read more…]