Town, County Meet Tonight on Route 13 Sewage Plans

Cape Charles Wave

August 19, 2013

Plans are proceeding to pump sewage from commercial properties on and near Route 13 to the Cape Charles treatment plant, with a joint meeting of Town and County planning commissions set for 7 p.m. tonight at the Northampton County social services building near the Courthouse.

A public hearing is also set for Monday, September 23, to give feedback to Northampton County Board of Supervisors on the idea.

Without waiting for a public hearing, the Board of Supervisors has funded 25 percent of the anticipated cost for sewer infrastructure in this year’s tax rate. The remaining 75 percent would be generated by a Special Tax District for the commercial properties affected.

County Supervisors also signed a contract July 22 with the firm Hurt & Proffitt for engineering services to the Public Service Authority developing the plan.

Town of Cape Charles staff will prepare an analysis to determine the portion of wastewater treatment costs to be allocated to the Special Tax District.

PSA Chairman Bob Panek estimates an added tax of 52 cents per $100 property value for commercial lots in the Special Tax District, which will nearly double their County taxes. They would also pay a monthly sewer bill, with the amount yet to be determined. [Read more…]

Live Auction Today at Aqua for Bay Creek Homes


August 19, 2013

The long-awaited date has arrived for the sale of properties owned by the bankrupt Madonia family. Houses and land will be auctioned 3 p.m. today (August 19) at Aqua Restaurant, while 31 farm properties will be auctioned 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Exmore Moose Lodge.

Properties on the block include #2 Heron Pointe in Bay Creek South, formerly owned by Bay Creek developer Dickie Foster, who sold it to Batista and Evelyn Madonia.

Once considered the prime property in Bay Creek, the long-vacant house now suffers from overgrown shrubbery. It was recently assessed by Northampton County at $2,786,300. [Read more…]