Town Recalculates Bay Creek Beach Club Charges

Bay Creek Beach Club

Beach Club under construction at Bay Creek will be 19,000 square feet and ultimately include an indoor pool and two outdoor pools. The Town of Cape Charles estimated water use by comparing the Beach Club to a “high school with showers.”

Cape Charles Wave

July 23, 2013

Connection charges for Town water and sewer lines to Bay Creek’s new Beach Club originally were calculated at $153,000 but were dropped to $44,000.

The Town of Cape Charles released the information in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by the Wave.

The issue arose after a prominent local contractor posted a comment in the Wave noting that “. . . (according to rumor) a reduced water/sewer hookup fee was given to the Bay Creek South company.”

In reaction, the Town issued a special edition of the Cape Charles Gazette with a “Message from the Mayor.”

Mayor Dora Sullivan wrote: “The Town did not reduce the connection charges for the new Beach Club at Bay Creek Resort & Club. The charge was calculated after obtaining a good understanding of the projected water and wastewater use at this new facility.”

Whether or not the Town reduced the connection charges may depend on what the definition of “calculation” is. [Read more…]


County Approves Commercial Sewage Area

Cape Charles Wave

July 23, 2013

Northampton County Board of Supervisors yesterday finalized the Southern Node commercial service area recommended by the Public Service Authority (PSA).

The area runs along Route 13 about a half mile in each direction from the Cape Charles traffic light, as well as most of Route 13 Business through Cheriton.

The Board of Supervisors accepted a proposal to create a special tax district to fund 75 percent of  infrastructure costs. The remaining 25 percent would be borne by all County property taxpayers. The 25 percent is already in the 2014 budget.

The commercial service area of the Southern Node would be the first phase in a two-phase project to provide wastewater service to Cheriton using the Cape Charles treatment plant approximately 2.25 miles away.

Asked if the proposed sewer lines for the commercial properties would be sufficient to tie all of Cheriton into the Cape Charles plant, PSA Chairman Bob Panek said they would not. Panek is also the principal consultant for the Cape Charles treatment plant. [Read more…]